About The ASPN
The American Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons was founded in January 1978 by eighteen North American neurosurgeons and was dedicated to the advancement of all aspects of the subspecialty of pediatric neurological surgery. The Society's membership has grown to include virtually all North American neurosurgeons who devote a substantial majority of their practice to the care of pediatric patients, and now has well over 100 neurosurgeons on its active membership roster.
The purpose of the American Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons shall be to improve the neurosurgical care of the children of the United States and Canada by advancing and advocating the specialty of Pediatric Neurosurgery. The Society is committed to discovering, defining and delivering the best care for patients with pediatric neurosurgical disease regardless of their age. We are further committed to dissemination of this information to all providers who care for these patients and to being the primary source of this information for physicians in training.
The Society shall accomplish this goal by:
- Identifying individuals who meet its criteria for being Pediatric Neurosurgeons and show a continuing dedication to the practice of Pediatric Neurosurgery.
- Providing leadership on the identification and dissemination of the knowledge and the science of Pediatric Neurosurgery, including, but not limited to, conducting regular scientific meetings.
- Providing leadership in the education of all medical professionals, to include monitoring and ascertaining the appropriate neurosurgical care of patients with pediatric neurosurgical disease (the Society recognizes that in some cases these disease processes start in childhood and extend throughout life).
- Providing guidance for the non-medical public, including pediatric neurosurgical patients and their families.
- Advocating for children on issues of importance to their neurological health.
Joining the Society:
The ASPN holds an annual meeting every winter for the membership and invited guests.
The official journal of the ASPN is The Journal of Neurosurgery - Pediatrics.